Because of the ongoing pandemic, this year’s WisCon is going to feel different from past years, which is probably no surprise to anyone. One of the changes for 2022 is that the ConCom has decided not to print the Souvenir Program book: it requires a lot of volunteer time and costs us a lot of money to produce. It’s rough not to have a book this year, but we need to save our energy and funds for other aspects of the con.
We’re working to make sure that the information members need in the printed book will be available in other ways, including online and through more basic printed materials.
This means that we urgently need a Print Manager! This is a volunteer position that’s a project manager to oversee the creation and printing of the materials we’ll need for this con. This person will coordinate with Departments (to gain what information needs to be printed), with volunteers on the Communications committee (to lay out documents), and with printers (submitting orders & pickup). Prior experience with printing is helpful but not required: this is mostly a communication and logistics type of role.
More details below! If you are interested in volunteering, please send an email to email@example.com as soon as possible and mention the Print Manager role.
Role Title: Print Manager
Reports to: Communications Co-Chairs
Time Requirements: 1-2 hours per week between March and mid-May (rough guess, since this is a new role!)
Presence at con: Beneficial (if unable to attend in person, will need to coordinate logistics for any print jobs that need to be picked up)
Term: One year
Role summary: The Print Manager oversees the creation and printing of any printed materials needed at WisCon. This person coordinates with Departments (to gain what information needs to be printed), with volunteers in Comms (to lay out documents), and with printers (submitting orders & pickup). We aren’t planning to print a program book this year (WisCon 2022); instead, we have a number of other smaller print jobs that need project management.
- Working with the ConCom to determine the list of print jobs
- Managing this list of jobs, including what their statuses and deadlines are
- Seeking copy from Departments
- Determining what print shop(s) we will use (obtaining quotes, selecting shop(s))
- Providing copy and layout guidelines to Communications volunteers for layout
- Asking Departments to proofread layouts
- Submitting layout changes back to Communications layout volunteers
- Finalizing layouts
- Submitting layouts to print shop(s)
- Ensuring orders are delivered or picked up by the afternoon of Thursday, 5/26
- Documenting what was done for future years
- Project management (communicating with multiple involved parties, managing deadlines)
- Strong communication skills (person is comfortable coordinating with multiple people)
- Previous experience working with print materials helpful but not required
- If no previous experience, willingness to learn about printing requirements and processes