- contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
“World Domination through Bake Sales!” That’s one of the slogans at Tiptree Juggernaut Headquarters — aka, the James Tiptree, Jr. Literary Award. The Tiptree Award supports gender-bending SF/F, hosts auctions, and loves chocolate chip cookies!
Every year, WisCon hosts a bake sale to support and raise money for the Tiptree Award. A wide variety of cookies, breads, cakes, pies and delectables are baked and donated by Tiptree supporters. If you’re interested in baking treats or volunteering, scroll down for more information.
This year we’re at our new day and time: the Bake Sale will be on FRIDAY from 1-5pm in room 627. (Same great place, shiny new day & time!)
If you’d like to contribute treats to the Bake Sale, here’s what you need to know:
- DO bring a single batch or pan of whatever treat you’re making. If you want to make more than one type of treat, that’s fine, but we don’t want large batches of any one item.
- DON’T bring a treat that requires refrigeration. This is a food safety issue: Non-perishable treats only, please!
- DO bring pies if you have a sturdy recipe that will hold up to travel well. However, make sure they’re not dairy-based, because we CANNOT accept treats that require refrigeration. Fruit pies = yes. Pumpkin pie/cheescakes = no.
- DO cut up brownies or bar cookies ahead of time.
- DON’T bring a store-bought treat. We really want the Bake Sale to be mainly items that we’ve made in our own kitchens to raise money for the Tiptree Award. (If you’re traveling from out-of-town or your before-Con baking time is running short, consider volunteering during the Bake Sale instead!)
- DO bring your treats in a disposable plate or container, covered with aluminum foil or plastic wrap if the container doesn’t have a lid. (If you absolutely can’t bring a disposable container, label your container with your name AND Con phone number.)
- DO bring a list of ingredients for each treat you bring. WisCon has many members with food constraints, and we want as many people as possible to enjoy tasty baked goods! When making your list of ingredients, be particularly aware of the following allergens: wheat/gluten, eggs, dairy, soy, tree nuts, peanuts. The more information you can provide, the better!
- DO follow basic food safety guidelines when preparing and handling food items: baking in a clean kitchen; hand-washing before touching baked goods or containers; storing in a cool, dry place; etc.
- DO NOT BAKE if you or anyone in your household (including kids) is sick (especially with stomach- or digestive-related ailments, or with a viral infection). We will still love you, and will happily eat, er…, sell whatever you bring next year.
Dropping off your treats: drop off locations will be selected very soon! Please check back to this page closer to the convention dates and be on the lookout for signs at the registration desk when you arrive at the Concourse.
What should I make? Make whatever YOU like! Every year we see cakes, pies, cookies, brownies, fudge, and so much more. We love to see a huge variety of goodies come across the table, especially colorful or unusual items. (Chocolate treats are always popular!)
THANK YOU to everyone who’s willing to contribute treats for our Bake Sale! If you have other questions about baking, don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com .
In addition to bakers, we’re looking for volunteers to staff the Bake Sale for 1-hour shifts from 12:30pm to 5:30pm on FRIDAY (during & after the Gathering). Any time volunteering entitles you to our volunteer gift — ask about it at the Registration Desk. Six hours or more of volunteering entitles you to a 40% rebate on your WisCon membership; to claim this, ask for a volunteer rebate form at the Registration Desk.
If you’re interested in volunteering, please complete our Bake Sale Volunteer Form, and the Bake Sale team will follow up with you.